Probably we would eat pizza.

20 July 2009 6 comments







I have a friend who is really hurting, but I can't do much to help. I pray for him, I offer encouragement, but I can't fix him or his problem.

I hate this feeling.

I wish that he was a little kid. If he were, then I would ask his mom if I could take him to the park. I'd buy him ice cream and let him beat me at checkers. I would ask him to sing me a song that he wrote--which I would be endlessly impressed with--and I'd make one up to sing back to him. Probably we would eat pizza. And then at the end of the day, before I took him back home, I would have a serious talk with him and try really hard to know the right thing to say to give the kid a little perspective and some courage. I'd probably talk about how you have to forgive people (sometimes A LOT) and how he really is good enough.

Too bad he's not a little kid.

6 comments:

  • Stella said...

    Oh how I wish I was that kid. It would be so much fun to hang out with you, and beat you at checkers! lol No, but I really know what you mean. At times I have no clue how to fix situations or people. Feeling helpless may be the key that leads us to God. Even then kessia I don't get answers or maybe I do but I don't have the courage to follow through. Ah! life can be frustrating at times.

  • Andrea said...

    I wish all my clients were kids and I didn't have to act like I know what I'm doing all the time. I wish I could swing on the swings with them and we could lay in the grass and look at the clouds and think about what Heaven is going to be like.

    Thanks for giving me a different perspective. I think there's still some little kid left in each of us that we kind of wish people could still see.

    Courage to you and your friend.

  • kessia reyne said...

    I have two wise friends. They're names are Andrea and Stella. I miss them and wish I had their wisdom a little bit closer.

    Oh, and Andrea---maybe you could pioneer a new type of therapy :) And I'm quoting you on Twitter! "I think there's still some little kid left in each of us that we kind of wish people could still see." So true.

  • Unknown said...

    Such wisdom. I do not feel worthy to comment. Is it ok, for us to just admit we do not know everything? I once had a frined tell me he was fed up with God and could not take it anymore. This friend was a lifelong Adventist who knew all the fundamental beliefs but was still angry at God. I wished so much I had the answer, I wish I could tell him exactly what God was doing in his life. But borrowing a thought from Clifford Goldstein (i think it was him) turns out God is not a "cosmic gumball machine" that we can just put a coin in and get what we want. sometimes i do wish we could be like kids, willing to trsut it would all be ok, even if we do not understand everything right now.

Post a Comment

Comments? Tell me what you think.

 

©Copyright 2012 moves and removes | TNB