There's nothing worse than a terrible marriage, and nothing better than a great one.

29 June 2009 9 comments


The man that I hope to shelter all the days of my life

My husband is three miles away and he's coming home in a half hour, but I called him just to chat. At the close of the conversation (twenty minutes later) I realized that it's kinda funny that I phoned him even though he's so close and he'll be home so soon. But I don't care.

I have come to realize that it is upon the little courtesies that marriages rise or fall. The small acts of service, the few words said or not said, the gentleness of the touch, the knowing looks--this is what builds a sweet atmosphere in the home, what makes the relationship sweet and nourishing.

My friend Star is a great lady--creative, compassionate, fun--but she hasn't yet learned the secret to being a great wife. I often wish that I knew how to tell her that the difference between her struggling marriage and a fantastic one may just be the difference between a complaint and praise. If she knew the power of her words and how her husband longs to hear that he pleases her, that she's proud of him, then she may come to know the hidden delights of a joyous home. I'm not sure that Star realizes how much her husband Steve needs her, how much any man depends on his woman for strength and courage and safety. It might mean the world to him if Star could pretend to be excited at the boring discovery he has made. He may blossom into a new man should she dare to praise him without any stipulation or amendment. He might be more the husband she longs for if only she would welcome him home with open arms, letting her heart be his mourner's bench and her mouth be his cheering section.

The world is lonely for man, and a loving wife is much to be treasured.

9 comments:

  • kessia reyne said...

    Yes, Nick. One day you'll get married and you'll write me and you'll say something like, "How right you are."

    And apologies to everyone since I realize that almost all my followers are single... but hopefully still a somewhat useful post? Maybe.

  • Andrea said...

    Haha..apologies accepted. :) I was just humming Nellie McKay's "I Wanna Get Married"...very mournfully. :) Actually, I was thinking I'd like to copy and paste this into one of my client's brains because I wish I could tell her this as eloquently as you wrote it. Such good wisdom and truth. Thanks for sharing.

  • Andrea said...

    I'm afraid of being surprising. I should qualify by saying i listen to about three or four songs of Nellie McKay. I do not necessarily endorse or subscribe to her morals or views. But she does have a good sense of humor. :)

  • Stella said...

    Ha! That is funny. Your followers are single but maybe not for long. Great advice Kessia. And great disclaimer Andrea. I will have to look her up. :)

  • Unknown said...

    Kessia, it is a great pleasure to follow your blog. I signed up a while ago, but only now really sat down to read. I miss seeing you on campus and chatting. great wisdom, great advice, and great writing. You inspire me to become a better writer. i am married and you are right on. My wife's words can make me or break me, they are more powerful than anybody else's. I praise God for the wonderful wife He gave me.

Post a Comment

Comments? Tell me what you think.

 

©Copyright 2012 moves and removes | TNB