Caution! thrown to the wind.

23 June 2009 9 comments
I'm naturally pretty wimpy. No, it's true--don't try to make me feel better. (As if anyone would try to convince me otherwise.) I just prefer the safer route. Is that a crime, people?!?!?

No, of course not. It is not a crime. In fact it is the opposite of a crime. Case in point: I was the one kid on my high school field trips that kept the whole class waiting as I went down to the crosswalk because I refused to jaywalk. Jaywalking was dangerous and against the law and I wasn't going to do it.

If you happen to be an incredibly devoted friend, then you may have read my previous post about chasing lions, or the more recent one about chasing kittens. Probably you're a great friend but still haven't read those posts, so let me get you up to speed here. Basically, I recognize that I'm perhaps a little too cautious. Actually, I was starting to think that my careful living was getting in the way of actual living. Therefore I decided that it was time to break out of the box---at least a little. So I've been trying new things, things that I don't like either because they scare me a little or a lot, or because they really embarrass me. I'm pretty easily embarrassed, so the list of new things to try was rather long. My "Chasing Kittens" blog lists a few new things I had been trying, and here are a few more:

1. I have been longboarding to school and around town. Strange, I know. Someone lent it to my husband and I found in the garage and thought I'd give it a go. This is very unlike me because falling is bad, but falling in public is much worse. I was just gonna ride it in the street in front of my house, but then I needed to get to school and the car was gone and my bike tire was flat... so I tried this new thing and it's been pretty fun. And the funny thing is that it is drawing a lot of attention and I can tell people are getting all sorts of the wrong impression about me. The longboard is very cool and hip; I am not cool and am unhip. So I'm like a rolling irony cruising around campus.


2. Related, but still very unlike me, I've been trying skateboarding. The longboard is nice and smooth and I pretty much just cruise around, maybe taking some hills or getting low on the board. But skateboards are different creatures. Last Thursday on a whim, I decided that I needed to ride it. Joshua and his friend were headed to the skatepark and I tagged along, but only to read a book and maybe chat with the other wife who came. But . . . then I got on it, did some very failed ollies, and rode the halfpipe a little. I fell quite a few times, but it was fun, and in doing it I made a great summer memory.

3. You know how there's food and then there is other plant life that is really just better for admiring in nature? Lettuce is good to eat, while ferns are nice to look at. Don't mix them up. All my life--really, all my life--mushrooms have fallen into that second category. In my yard: "Oooh, look at the cute mushroom." On my plate: "Why? No, seriously, why? For the love of all that is good, get this fungus away from my food." But . . . in the last few weeks I've been eating them! Once in pasta and a couple other times in pizza. Good news: I have not yet died. Further reports to come.

4. I tried riding my bike hands-free today. This was sort of a dumb thing to try because I've been trying it since about the time I got my training wheels off (3 or 4 years ago) and it has never worked. Never ever. So why did I think that today might be my lucky day? I don't know. But I did try it and it worked exceedingly well. I think I went maybe 30 or 40 seconds without touching the handle bars, even going so far as to unclip my backpack chest strap and swing the pack around to the front so I could grab my phone. And no injuries. A few minutes later I was standing and straddling the bike as I waited for traffic to clear so I could cross the street (and not at a crosswalk!!) and the bike fell over, scraping up my left leg and making me wonder about the operations of irony in the world.

5. I went lap swimming. I used to do this regularly until one day it dawned on me that I actually hated it. That was a few years ago and I hadn't been in a pool since then. But today is cardio day and, by the special request of a friend, I grabbed my goggles and donned my old swimsuits (yes, that's plural). Swimming is hard and I don't like it, but I'm still glad that I did it because it's good to do things that I don't like and the other option was running and I don't like that either. So what did I have to lose? Nothing except my annoying amount of whining about how much I dislike lap swimming. I wonder how many fun (or at least okay) things I miss out on because I decided once that I didn't like it.

6. I dropped by a friend's house unannounced. This may very well be the Ironman competition of social phobias. Calling someone is difficult, inviting someone to hang out is really hard, but stopping by their actual house uninvited and unannounced? Wow. That is over-the-top difficult. Now I can't say that I did it without a few second thoughts (the kind where I headed back to the car more than once), but still I did it. And we hung out and had a great time. I came out of the thing completely unscathed. In other words, I took home the trophy :)

9 comments:

  • EMILY STAR said...

    "So I'm like a rolling irony cruising around campus."

    hahah Thank-you Kessia for the laugh that busted out of my mouth...not at your post....but at your awesomeness. Thanks also for the encouragement that you so freely give to those you know. It means alot. I also wanted you to know that you are VERY hip. Hip isn't smooth, pious, abercrombie, stuck-up anymore...that was a deception of cool for a very short time. Cool is now, in my eyes...quite embodied by people exactly like you. :)

  • kessia reyne said...

    Well YOU, ms. emily star, are exactly the kind of influence needed in my life. You are naturally adventurous and can usually be found throwing caution to the wind---and for that you have my sincere admiration. For this reason, then, when you tell me that I'm cool, I can't argue (nobody argues with the queen of cool... c'mon!), I can only say thanks :)

  • Miss Jehle said...

    Kessia, I'm so proud of you! I can't say I relate to #3, because I love mushrooms. But I have much respect for you in every other area - particularly #6 ;)

    I wish I could drop by your house unannounced... If only you were a little closer! Hope you are still enjoying Michigan's summer.

  • Andrea said...

    Can we just agree that you might have some perceptions of yourself that are different from other people's perception of you? Forgive the counselese, but seriously. Who DOESN'T think you are cool and hip? For all I knew, you long-boarded before you walked. Don't take that as a put-down--I know it's hard to take, if you are a non-conformist at heart, like me. :) But hey, I applaud the risk-taking. And I do remember your chasing kittens blog. Back when you were blogging on myspace...those were the days... ;)

  • Nicholas said...

    I am at camp reading this and thinking I should maybe try some trickier longboard stuff. Or something else I fear would cause injury/embarrassment. PS-I still can't ride a bike hands-free

  • Ben Schnell said...

    This blog inspired me to try some things I'm scared of, or don't like. Its so encouraging that you came out of most of those things unscathed! I'm going to try some things.

  • Unknown said...

    This has really made me think.as an imigrant i often avoid things that are different from the way "americans" do it. for example, in brazil you go to a pizza place and they give you ketchup, there in the US i never add ketchup to my pizza, when eating with my american friends. and that is just one thing. yet here you are, putting yourself out there, daring to be different. the beginning of this blog puzzled me, because i was in improv with you, and i never saw you as the one to take the safer route. I can definatelly picture you riding the longboard to class. this blog has given me much to think about, and made me laugh a few times as well and for that i thank you.
    btw: i am in brasil right now, and i realize that i am too "american" to blend in completely. i guess i wil stand out no matter where i am, and that is not so bad right?

Post a Comment

Comments? Tell me what you think.

 

©Copyright 2012 moves and removes | TNB