lunch and Christmas in May

10 May 2009 6 comments
A crowded restaurant, bustling with patrons and filled with the chatter of conversation and the clatter of silverware. Our table, scattered with half-filled glasses and packed with plates emptied of salads and sandwiches and pastas. Our attention, focused on getting acquainted with new friends and re-connected with old ones, centered in the immediate things---lingering tastes, feelings of fullness, the hardness of the chairs, the words to say next.

Then.

First the opening notes intone, then my eye catches up to see a group of teenagers across the restaurant. As their music unfolds, forks are silenced and words fall quiet. The clamoring of the crowd slows, then stops. This choir is captivating a captive audience. They sing of Christ and His holy, humble birth. While the conductor's hands swing and gesture round, the young voices rise and fall, divide and meet again, expand and shrink. Their song moves me away from my seat and to the fields beside the curious shepherds and into the stable scattered with straw and beside the rough trough, my eyes to behold the heavenly King wrapped in swaddling clothes.

Their act of random beauty had become a gateway for me to spiritual contemplation. That day I had both lunch and Christmas in May.

6 comments:

  • TaraB said...

    Wait...so people started randomly singing Christmas songs in the restaurant? Maybe I'm confused, maybe unnecessarily so. Either way this sounds like an awesome experience.

    Kessia it was so GOOD to finally meet you this weekend! Now I feel like I can leave comments on your blog for reals. I hope we run into each other again real soon. Maybe next year?

  • kessia reyne said...

    Yeah, can you believe it?? They sang this really beautiful choral arrangement of some Christmas song I'd never heard. They had finished their meal and then stood up and gave a random performance. Crazy, right? It made me want to commit random acts of beauty, too.

    I think "next year" sounds too far away. How 'bout "next season" or "soon"? I hope it's soon. You were all the good things that people said about you!

  • Miss Jehle said...

    I was going to remark on the delightful idea of random acts of beauty, but I see Emily beat me to it. But then I decided that shouldn't stop me from agreeing. Let's do that.

Post a Comment

Comments? Tell me what you think.

 

©Copyright 2012 moves and removes | TNB