as a Christian missionary

13 April 2009 4 comments
"For the first time in my life I know what I must do off in lonesome Lanao. I know why God left this aching void, for Himself to fill. Off on this mountain I must do three things:

1. I must pursue this voyage of discovery in quest of God's will. I must because the world needs me to do it.

2. I must plunge into mighty experiments in intercessory prayer, to test my hypothesis that God needs my help to do His will for others, and that my prayer releases His power. I must be His channel, for the world needs me.

3. I must confront these Moros with a divine love which will speak Christ to them though I never use His name. . . . Not to change the name of their religion, but to take their hand and say, 'Come, let us look for God.' . . .

What right have I or any other person to come here and change the name of these people from Muslim to Christian, unless I lead them to a life fuller of God than they have now? Clearly, clearly, my job here is not to go to the town plaza and make proselytes, it is to live wrapped in God, trembling to His thoughts, burning with His passion. And, my loved one, that is the best gift you can give to your own town."

:: Frank C. Laubach, Christian missionary, 09 Mar 1930,
in a letter written to his father.
Excerpted from Letters by a Modern Mystic.

4 comments:

  • Justin Jones said...

    stellar. good question...what right do I have to convert someone to Christianity unless I offer them a life fuller than they have now..."i must live wrapped in God...incredible. thanks kessia.

  • Anonymous said...

    I heart Frank Laubach. He comes up a lot in my Integrative Theology class. I think the point he often brings up is to live every moment in God's presence, and let His presence change the world around us. Completely inspiring.

Post a Comment

Comments? Tell me what you think.

 

©Copyright 2012 moves and removes | TNB