The Hugs Really Are Free

20 January 2013 7 comments
robertphotographics.com

Today we went out onto the streets of Chicago to give free hugs to strangers. We were stationed next to a train stop, and a tall fellow with tie-dyed hair and a long trench coat in praise of John Lennon stepped through the doors and lit up at the sight of our "FREE HUGS" sign. He hugged us all at least once. And on his second time through, he asked, "What's this for? Why are you guys doing this?" It was only 7 words into the explanation that he heard the word "God" and his countenance changed. He said, "God?" and took one step back. He bummed a cigarette off the girl at the bus stop, then hung out with one beer in his hand, leaning up against a post like he was waiting for someone. We were 30 feet from him giving hugs away, embracing strangers to acknowledge their humanity and give them personal contact.

Acknowledgement. Contact. Affirmation. Love.

For free.

But this guy was talking cynically to the CTA attendant sweeping up trash. "Yeah, they give the hugs away for free now, but they take you to church and make you pay later." The man with the broom shook his head and gave a slow, "Yeahhh," as if this had happened to everybody.

I walked to the corner, trying to get Joshua's attention across the street, to tell him that we had to head back. I turned around and there again was this same fellow with the blond and orange hair dressed in a trench coat. His said his name was Max. He motioned to two guys next to him and asked me,

"Do you wanna forsake Jesus and get f***ed up with me and my friends?"

"No," I told him. "I'm in it to win it," I said with a laugh.

But my heart wanted to say,
If you knew what He has done for me, you would know why I cannot forsake Him. And if you knew Jesus, you wouldn't want to leave Him, either. 
A crowd from the crosswalk pressed in to our corner and the three of them were leaving, but Max had a question first: "What does God think about pot?" His friend was lighting a joint as I was passing out hugs. "What's God's judgment about pot, huh?" He looked above me, past me, looking at the others with an air of challenge. "What does God think about pot?"

I caught his eyes and told him, "God has something to say about pot, but He cares more about other things, like love, mercy, and justice."

7 comments:

  • Matthew Smith said...

    Wow. Sometimes it's comments from strangers that can deflate everything that you're trying to do, but after eavesdropping on your friend Max's comments, it's obvious that his mind is spinning and whirling and churning with past hurts and previous painful memories. It's obvious that a couple hugs and a simple answer of "God" will be on his mind for awhile as he tries to understand what just happened to him. I wish I could see what happens as he finally gives in to the wooing prods of the Holy Spirit. Max will never be the same because of today. That's for sure!

    Thank you for sharing such a cool story! I wish I could have been there with you. In fact, I was thinking about you this Sabbath and missed you an awful lot. Blessings on your week and studies and relationships as you acknowledge humanity through the eyes of divinity.

    P.S. Give one of those hugs to that bearded-babe you married FOR ME!

  • Anonymous said...

    Obviously this guy's experience with Christianity in the past has been negative...judgmental. The kind of Christianity that tears people down instead of building them up. And who knows what this guy's background is like. He could have had parents who smoked pot. Maybe alcoholic stupors were the norm. He could have been beaten as a child. You never know...

    It's good you didn't say what you were thinking. Most people you meet on the street aren't ready to hear that. What people respond to is actions prompted by love--for they themselves and for all of humanity. "For they will know that we are Christians by our love..."

Post a Comment

Comments? Tell me what you think.

 

©Copyright 2012 moves and removes | TNB