me thinking about the church. part 4.

22 April 2012 2 comments
During my time in Seminary, I felt ever more keenly the great weaknesses of the church: our apathy and worldliness, our troubles and tensions, our administrative and theological shortcomings, and blah blah blah. It can sometimes be difficult for me to believe that this church---this group of failing disciples---could turn the world upside down.

One morning I asked my professor, "With the apparent fall of denominationalism, what do you foresee as the future of our denomination?"

His reply: "This church started as a movement and it will end as a movement."



I never could figure out how that made me feel.


generic church. wah wah.
if you'd care to read >>  part 1.   part 2.   part 3.

2 comments:

  • Andrea said...

    I like the fact that it was a professor who said that. I'm not sure why, but I do. It's a little scary to think of how a movement will arise from the dust of (sort of) ancient church structure. But it's also kind of exciting. I'm glad God knows.

Post a Comment

Comments? Tell me what you think.

 

©Copyright 2012 moves and removes | TNB