Kessia Reyne, Judge of All

22 October 2009 7 comments


A very strange thing happened to me today. It was disconcerting and wonderful.


I had been judging my friend. Like, rolling my eyes and scoffing at him from the back of my throat. I like him, I respect him, I think he's cool. But I was judging him, narrowing my blue eyes at his Brazilian face. Sometimes when we were together, and sometimes when we were not, I would take out a new label and slap it on him.


    "critical"                                   "cynical"
                                  "suspicious"    
              "disciple of so-and-so"           "Narrow"


Then today he challenged me. "Don't judge me." I defended myself. I told him that I wasn't judging him. I told him that I was just listening to what he was saying, I was just observing what he was doing. I told him that I saw him becoming like this certain professor, that I heard him and his friend talking about one thing or another... I usually "win" at these sorts of "discussions." But he pushed back. He defended himself. Our eyes flashed. Our swords clashed. Our words met and punched it out.


And in the end, he was right. I had been judging him, and unfairly so.


I was accusing him of being cynical and critical and judgmental. But in judging him I was being cynical and critical and judgmental.


Dangit. Sorry, Tiago.



7 comments:

  • tiago arrais said...

    hahaha >>

    i enjoy the weirdness of our friendship reyne >>

    my God continue to push us farther from ourselves and closer to Him >>

    and as a "peace offering" i would like.... pizza >>

  • Miss Jehle said...

    I feel like we just had an LTG moment here on the world wide web. I miss those humbling accountability times. Furthermore, I miss hanging out with you. How come we live in the same place and don't do that more? Let's stop being busy..

  • Andrea said...

    I appreciate your transparency. And I appreciated your willingness to pause in your busy life long enough to hang out on Sunday. I really enjoyed the conversation,and realizing all over again the fun things we have in common. I would explain, but we already covered that issue. :)

  • Unknown said...

    the way you and tiago talk about each other i assumed you two always agreed on everything. i really curious as i was reading this e-mail, trying to figure out which brazilian you were talking about. i had a feeling it wasn't me...
    both of you are awesome making the most of each opportunity and situation.

Post a Comment

Comments? Tell me what you think.

 

©Copyright 2012 moves and removes | TNB